dateless but not desperately

I have never been on a real dinner date.  You know, where you spend an hour deciding what to wear, another hour getting ready.  Half an hour watching the clock while running back and forward to the toilet.
He comes to door, all smart like, takes you in his car, to a restaurant he chose, and you spend the evening together.

I've done coffee dates, look-sees, lunches, picnics in the park, ethnic supper, group outings, meet-you-there-s - but I still feel like I'm missing out on something.  Somehow the idea of a man actually coming to collect me is sweetly oldfashioned and yet also shows a commitment to being masculine and being in charge.  Similarly having him choose where we eat.  And paying? Well, I guess if he was asking me out I'd concede it to be his treat (i struggle with this one but I'm prepared to make a concession....).

Maybe I'm out of touch and this kind of thing doesn't happen any more? Maybe it's expected that you meet someone at a restaurant, that you split the bill, or that it can be spur of the moment?  I like all of those things too, don't get me wrong, but the thought of the scenario above is so appealing.

It's fun to cook for someone, or have an amazing picnic somewhere beautiful, or have an outing, or go to the movies, or a concert, or any other number of things.  I've done lots of those and truly enjoyed them.  I've come close to the dinner, but never quite got there - not sure why...but patiently I wait...:)

Maybe I have read too many books and watched too many tv shows that give an unrealistic view of dating and new relationships.  An ex boyfriend once told me I had my head in the clouds and life wasn't ''like it is in the movies'', and I needed to be more realistic - I was at the ripe old age of 23 then....

I have a wardrobe bursting with gorgeous clothes just perfect for a dinner date.  I just need to find someone who would like to take me on one.

No comments:

Post a Comment